Thursday, January 30, 2014

Creamy No-Fail Coleslaw

In kenya, my favourite coleslaw came from a burger joint called "Wimpy's". I'm not sure if that franchise still exists, it's been over a decade since I had some Wimpy's. The one thing that sticks out in my mind about their menu was their coleslaw. It was creamy and good enough to be eaten on it's own. In fact, I ordered just coleslaw from this joint on many occasions. Don't judge me, hey! When I came to the US, I found that the KFC coleslaw came a close second to Wimpy's. So I went on a quest to find a coleslaw recipe that would come close in taste to that of these two establishments, and came across this recipe. I now turn to this recipe whenever I'm cooking any barbecue and need some coleslaw as a side. It never disappoints! Here's how it's made...

Ingredients:
-1 head of cabbage (about 2 pounds).
-3 small carrots, cleaned and peeled.
-1 small yellow onion.
-3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped.
-2 stalks of celery, well cleaned.
-2 tablespoons cider vinegar.

-2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar (depending on how sweet you like your coleslaw).
-1 1/4 cups mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (I like the texture that Miracle Whip gives the coleslaw, so I use it instead of mayonnaise).
-Salt and pepper to taste.


Instructions:
-Slice your cabbage into thin slivers using a sharp knife or a mandolin slicer.
-Slice the celery thinly crosswise using a sharp knife or mandolin slicer and place the cabbage and celery in a large bowl.
-Finely dice the onions, grate the carrots and add them both to the bowl with the cabbage and celery.

-Sprinkle the vinegar into the bowl with the vegetables and toss them to coat evenly with the vinegar.
-Add the parsley, mayonnaise and sugar to the vegetables. Toss well to mix. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

-Refregerate in an air-tight covered dish from 2 hours-overnight. This will give the vegetables time to absorb the flavors.
-Before serving, taste and adjust the seasoning with either more salt, sugar, pepper or vinegar. This coleslaw is best if served cold. Keep covered and refrigerated when not being used. Do not keep for more than 2 days (refregerated).

No comments:

Post a Comment